I grew up in a house surrounded by farms. We lived in the country outside the Fort St. James city limits, right on the edge of the woods. On Kalau Road, we were the last driveway--but we had by far the largest house and the biggest, most wide open lawn, which wrapped around the house (which was set away from the road, one third of the way into the property) and stretched beyond to a garden, fields, a lagoon, and the tree line of a dense pine and spruce forest. All in all, our property was five acres, but seemed larger given that it stretched into all the field and forest beyond. It would have been the perfect land for a farm, but it wasn't--our house was the newest on the road when we moved in, the rest of the land populated by ten other families in log houses and trailers. Every family seemed to keep animals and a garden of sorts, and two of the other families kept horses--including our next door neighbors, who also kept pigs, rabbits, geese, ducks, cows, and a bull (which, at a young age, got loose and wreaked havoc on our front lawn).
These are the kinds of things I was thinking of as we toured the grounds, the organic garden, the trails. It was interesting to see the site of the old skating pond, as it reminded me of the (smaller) vegetable garden at our previous house, which my dad transformed every winter into a skating rink--sort of an odd overlap of experience. My favorite part, though, was preparing the soil. I'd never had much of a part in the making of any of our gardens, but I always loved the feeling of digging my hands into the moist garden soil, whether or not I found anything underneath. I was reminded of the simplicity of dirt--something so ever-present in my childhood, but something I so seldom encounter anymore (at least, not willingly). It was nice, though, to spread the dirt around--to get it under my fingernails, squish my boots into it, hold a shovel again. There's something very calm and peaceful about that--focusing on a simple task and a simple thing, not trying to create something complex out of it (like nearly every other thing in every area of my life). It was nice to have time to think and imagine what something so simple could become, to think about cultivating the wild, rather than the domestic. I'm excited to see which wildflowers will go into the garden, and whether or not I'll recognize any of them. Either way, it was nice to get cold, get dirty, have time to wonder, for once.
No comments:
Post a Comment